buy foundlings jewellery...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 26 April 2009

Salvation Mountain


I've always been a fan of religious iconography but I have never seen anything quite like the phenomenon of Salvation Mountain in California! The 50ft high by 150 ft wide creation of Leonard Knight's is an evolving entity, which he continues to work on to convey his devotional message that 'God is Love'. It's not that I'm particularly religious myself but it's difficult not to be moved by the effort which has clearly been worked into every inch of this beautiful construction, even more so when you read his story and find out that his first mountain collapsed after many years of work, and he simply started building all over again! Although he is shy to be described as an artist as such there is no doubt that this is an incredible piece of inspirational artwork (however you choose to define those terms!).

See Salvation Mountain and thanks to Unusual Life and hoveringdog for bringing it into my life with their amazing photos, I'll definitely be marking Salvation Mountain on my US map for the travelling i'm sure i'll get round to some day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely stunning doesn't it! Elsie Cake blogged about this too, its completely incredible!
If I ever get to the US I think i'll have to visit...